Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Learnings from Hiring Online Job Contractors

I'd say "Learnings" because I was so frustrated the other day when I met some of the worst online job contractors posing as experienced and professionals but were fake. It was the first time that I really felt so bad with someone who works for me and with me online. I even told my sister if this were an employee in the call center I used to manage I would probably send her home right away. It was twice in a row for the week and I was just so disappointed.

I have been writing online for years now. I have received various writing tasks from clients all over the world -just about any topic under the sun. Most clients are from the UK, US, Australia and Indonesia. I remember writing about Scholarship Grants, Bankruptcy, Goodyear Tires, Barbie Doll Houses, Destination Weddings, Wedding Rings, Mobile Homes, Cars for Hire and Foot Solutions. I also wrote hundreds or thousands of Finance articles including Factoring, Mortgage and other Work at Home options. You can check out my Odesk account for the number of clients I have had. I also have clients for Accounting jobs and just the same the clients are not from the Philippines most of the time but it gives me a chance to explore Cloud Accounting more. This job has been truly rewarding and fulfilling. My online job has been one of God's channels in blessing me and my family. It has helped me a lot especially when I was in between jobs and when I finally decided to go freelancing and gain freedom with my time that employment usually would not offer.




However, early last month I tried hiring online job contractors to help me finish a huge writing job I accepted. Since I am now a practicing accountant, I am not as free to write as before. I realized I could help others earn extra if I hire one online. Most of them anyway are like me who are looking for work from home opportunities to payoff some bills. Therefore, I started hiring one through various job seeker hubs. I would say, I was very fortunate to find really reliable ones but because they are so good they have other demanding jobs, they can accept limited job orders only. This prompted me to hire more. 





Lo and behold, I found myself in a different world. This virtual world where online job seekers are many actually have many unreliable service contractors too. Worst, since you do not know them personally and you only get to talk to them online, you can only hope that they have the same professional ethics if you hired them for work in an actual office. Unfortunately, there is an increasing number of them who do not have a single bone of integrity in them. They found it easy to stay DISconnected for as long as they want. When you do find them and if they are expecting some payment they have all the reasons and alibis why they were OFFline but they are ONline once the deadline has passed and payment of their partially incompleted job is necessary. Some even have the guts to send you terrible and even nasty messages and then they soon apologize with the excuse that they were just frustrated or possessed - whatever. I was shocked. These UNreliable job contractors are normally the type who complain about their previous employers and clients so beware. If they started bad talking their previous bosses and online clients then chances are that's the only thing they can do best. In the end, I no longer wonder why it took them so long to find reliable and paying clients.

Most of the time, I also found that online job seekers who never reply on time or submit test articles on time are also unreliable when it comes to submitting the required articles on or before the deadline or due date.Obviously, it was easier in the real world because you get to talk to the job applicants and personally interview them. They have no way of sugar coating their true personalities especially if you know the right questions to ask. However, online they always have a way of misleading people. In the real world you can send people memos or worst sue them for breach. However, in the virtual world when the deadlines are near you cannot just find someone else to do the job. If they are really late you have to write the articles yourself. When they are once again communicating to you, you try to understand. Most clients are afraid to reprimand the unreliable job contractor online for fear of social media bad publicity or bullying. However, I try to correct them in the nicest way possible. Yet when I am disrespected and lied to, I can be straightforward and very honest as well. My take on this is there is a reason why our paths crossed and if it be for correction alone then I will make sure I serve my purpose well. :)

Anyway, I too was once a first time online job seeker and I am proud to say that I still am an online job contractor. I am thankful for those who entrusted me with the first article writing job, gave me the first major work, and offered me with the first recurring workloads. I was not perfect.In fact, I failed some of my clients too but I made sure I was in good faith and respectful at all times. I also try my best to be more responsible and reliable every time. I try to honor my word always even if it meant sleepless nights. I am also honest in saying what I can and I cannot do to set my client's expectations properly. Through the years I have learned and am writing this for the benefit of those who are seeking for jobs. I guess, it is the same for virtual real world job seekers, when people entrust you with a job, regardless if it is big or small, do it well and give it your best shot- every single time. There are many people seeking employment these days. Some are also wondering why they are hopping from one job to another. Sometimes you have to realize that the problem is not with the economy or the bosses. Oftentimes, some changes need to happen within you first so that job opportunities continue to flow your way whether online or in the real world, part time or full time. 

  







 

No comments:

Post a Comment