Monday, August 5, 2013

One Confusing Home Sonic Experience: Scam or Strategy

Since I started my practice as an accountant I have been very fortunate to have the time to visit the malls again as I move from one client to another. I love the free time to check out the sale and the new items in the malls and freely window shop just like everyone else. I get to dine and shop in the places I want to especially that most of these places or merchants do not have branches yet in Balibago and Santa Rosa, Laguna.

Yesterday, I was in Ortigas for BIR stuff and passed by Starmall in Shaw Boulevard. However, this time I was there since they have this terminal for vans to Balibago. I passed by the mall as well to find a restroom so I can attend to my personal needs before taking the long ride home. Just as I was reviewing my day and realizing I forgot to drop by BPI bank, I saw a this small BPI mall shop and was able to enroll two accounts for fund transfer. I left the shop feeling blessed and happy that BPI has these mall shops. I felt relieved. I was in a happy, content and satisfied mood having done all I had to do when suddenly this guy greeted me from the back. I was so surprised and my reaction was just so funny that I continued to laugh even after he introduced himself.

Well, I have been in Starmall Shaw Blvd. several times and I know that there are many marketing people here selling all kinds of stuff and just pretending to give out coupons, freebees and other items as a baiting strategy. Anyway, I told the guy/girl - Aristotle, that I was in a hurry and I can't seem to find the restroom. He continued asking for my time just to introduce their products. Finally, he said the comfort room is near their showroom. I told him I don't want to spend an hour with them (like Philippine Prudential guys in the same mall). He promised it was just for a few minutes just to help him with his "attendance" and since he was almost begging, I pitied him and gave in advising him that I cannot stay longer because I need to go to the restroom soon. He led me to their showroom and I entered HOME SONIC.



Well, there I was advised to sit in this massage chair and was told it will only take 15 minutes so they can showcase the great products they have. They started showing these brochures and I started telling them that the brochures did not look nice and were very old. They were not too presentable for a sales talk. Anyway, I was shocked at how young their agents were and how really unprofessional they were acting. They asked for some IDs and just when I opened my wallet one girl even tried to touch it to make sure she sees the cards. She was peeping into my wallet. I was quite taken aback that people like her get hired to represent a company. Some of them started touching my hair, my hands, my face and just started strolling those massage thing on my thighs and tummy. I was confused and shocked.  I even asked if they were trained for customer service, they said they were only trained for product knowledge. Well, that answers it! However, I wanted to ask, didn't their parents or teachers teach them to behave? Were they not taught the proper manners and how to deal with people, especially show some respect for someone you don't know and older than you?!

The only person I really admired was Aristotle, except for some unwelcome green jokes, because of his product knowledge and cheerfulness. The other lady continued calling me "mommy" when in fact am not yet married nor a mother. I mean such an insult but of course, I cannot except her to understand ethics and decorum anymore especially that she just peeped through my purse too. All these other sales agents just laughed and clapped whenever they felt necessary. I on the other hand felt trapped.

Finally, I really had to go to the bathroom so they gave me a free eHappy card. They asked me to get one more prize and just choose from the envelopes she was handling me. And while I was hoping to end this agonizing and confusing experience, I realized they was just starting the second chapter. They told me I won the highest prize for the day, PhP2000 gift check. They will check if I can use it for Jollibee when in fact, it was obvious that this was for their products only. Anyway, to cut the story short - which wasn't really - they told me I won a Massage Chair, like the one I was seated on, I also won the other Body and Facial Massager. And because I had Globe SIM, Samsung phone, BPI and HSBC credit card, I also get to take home the Fat and Body Scale, the Solingen Cutlery set. They told me to choose one more product I liked, I told them the Nitro Foot Massager was nice. Here's the deal - I have to use the discount coupon on the same day so I can take home my prizes worth 180k all in all. This means I have to pay 55K or 57K price of the foot massager less 2K gift certificate.



Well, I said, it was nice but I don't have 55K for the Foot Massager. They said I can use my credit card. I told them the balance is all used up. Finally, they said they will change the rules JUST FOR ME. This time they can accept 20K and I get to take home the Massage Chair, I can just pay for the balance in 2 years. I told them I don't have 20K. Of course, there's a final offer. The executive officer came and told me he'd loan me some money if he already got his salary cause it was -ANUGON (Bisaya) or such a waste if I did not take advantage of my Great Luck for the day because very few people get the same chance. Well, I was not so convinced. His offer - pay 5K and I get to pay the balance in 36 monthly installments. I get to take home the Facial and Body Massager but not everything else yet. The other lady insisted that I show her my credit card and she will just check if I can use it.




Funny but just when I was so confused and pressured by everyone else, Nature was Calling! Hahaha! I told them I really needed to go to the restroom. I cannot decide yet. I told them I have to ask permission first before I use the money on those items. I will go to the restroom and call first. They said, you don't need to ask anyone's permission because how can they make the decision for you if they have not seen or tested the products. I told them, it's not my money am using so I need to ask. They said, it was not necessary anyway whoever that person is he will surely use all the stuff anyway. They said for a Facial Massager worth 9K all I need is to pay 5K and I can take it home already and reserve the other items, so why ask for permission? Well, they made the decision for me. Why would I spend my money on someone who has no respect at all! Anyway, I left with Aristotle as he was showing me the way to the restroom.




No matter how good the products were, I had to say no. It felt like a scam. I am a fan of DIY shops, Ace and Home Depot. I have seen those products and I do not remember them having such high price tags. It was possible I would have given in and accepted the final offer BUT because of their interest in my credit card, I felt that it was not a right decision. There were also so many lies from No Selling to No Wasting of My Time. I went out of the restroom and Aristotle was there. I told him upfront that I felt it was a SCAM. He said he was with the company for 8 months already. I told him I really can't take the offer. The products are good but I do not have the money. I have bills to pay and I do not want to pay money to someone I have no trust in and I do not want to pay something for the next 36 months too. He was in the verge of tears. However, even if I pitied him, made my decision already. I told him to go cancel it and I have to go home.

The Lesson - Anyone who stops you when you want to go to the comfort room is not as sincere and is not worth your time too! Seriously, anyone who wants you to make a financial decision without giving you a chance to think about it is trying to sell you something not worth your money.

  
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment