Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pregnancy: Women's Expectations, Success and Failures

They often talk about teen pregnancy these days. When people see young adults get pregnant, they call it unwanted pregnancy simply because they are not ready to get married or to be parents yet. People talk as if there is little or no hope for the young mother and her child. However, years would always prove them wrong. There is always a bright future ahead of these young parents and their child. If they can believe it then they can see it and live it.




However, for a woman my age, reaching her mid 30s, getting pregnant is probably one of the best things that could happen to my life. There are times that I feel the pressure from all sides. There was a time when I avoided meeting with my friends because I knew all they wanted to talk about was their kids and I had none. At first, I found the topic boring. It was more like a story telling competition among moms. Now, I realized it was normal, they were just so amazed of how their little ones turned out. In addition, meeting family during gatherings was also adding stress. My family was getting bigger with more nieces and nephews and I was not contributing to its increase. Even though they always comfort me with words, appreciating my dedication to my job and happy that I am a very productive person, that I can do whatever I want because I had no family to take care of, I know they were all praying that someday I would bring my own child to the reunion. I know at the back of their minds, having my own family would complete me and it was the only thing I didn't have, not yet.



These days, when I hear about my friends losing their child while they are pregnant, I also want to cry. I understand how painful it might be for them. When I hear moms aborting their children, or mothers leaving their new born child in trashcans or abandoned buildings, or child kidnapped straight from hospitals, righteous anger cries within me. These precious ones deserve to live and deserve a good life.

Expecting moms, are words that mean more than how we used them. Women who are pregnant expect a lot because people around them also do. And the weight they carry is not just the child they are having but also the pressure surrounding them. I am not pregnant, but I am expecting, and by the grace of God, things will happen in His time.






2 comments:

  1. The title was so intriguing, I just HAD TO read this :)

    Love this portion: I am not pregnant, but I am expecting, and by the grace of God, things will happen in His time.

    :)rhea

    ReplyDelete